Visit our website

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Cycling for Weightloss



I have been watching the obesity crisis that we are on the verge of here in the UK, and to many extents the World. I have been running for years, but had to but back with knee problems so that had to be knocked on the head. I found Cycling just by chance, I bought a really cheap Road bike that had been stuck in the garage for years, and one day just decided to get on and go for a short ride. I must say at this time, I was smoking 40+ cigarettes a day, and drinking quite a lot so the weight had piled on.
I started by doing just half an hour on the bike, then eventually I increased the time bit by bit, and my target was to one day ride 50 miles, which at that time seemed impossible. After becoming an addict, I ride to nearly 200 miles per week, I am totally obsessed with cycling, and I have seen my weight drop from 14 to 11 stone, my waistline decrease from 35" to a healthy 32" and of course I quit the cigarettes. I had to make a choice, cycling or smoking, and cycling won hands down. There is no better feeling than getting to 40mph downhill, the wind rushing past your ears. There are such lovely rides around here, and I bet that you can find some around you if you look close enough. British Cycling are doing a great job promoting the health  benefits of cycling, and how 'low impact' it is, but the amount of calories burnt during a ride far outweigh the odd hour at the gym. 

Here are some of the facts


What are the benefits of cycling?

  • You will lose fat and burn calories by increasing heart rate, helping to achieve your weight loss goals
  • Cheap and pollution free, cycling burns calories, and you’ll lose weight.
  • Cycling improves health.
  • All round fitness, along with strength and endurance are increased as cycling exercises the major muscle groups in the legs: the quadriceps, glutei, hamstrings and calves.
  • Pedal power is low impact and takes the weight of the body, so for many people who cannot do high impact sports because of the pressure it puts on their joints, such as running, cycling is a great alternative.
  • You need any special training! If a sport is complicated, you may not take it up. Most of us can already ride a bike - and as the saying goes, once learnt you never forget!


How will cycling improve my health?

  • When cycling for health, exercise can be maintained for a long period of time without your leg muscles getting too tired, although you may feel the burn!  Your heart and lungs get a solid workout which is excellent for improving your cardiovascular fitness levels.
  • As your heart and lungs get stronger you will be able to more efficiently transport oxygen around the body which is the key to a high level of fitness. Your resting pulse rate will decrease as will your blood fat levels and blood pressure. All of these combined will reduce your risk of heart disease.
  • Cycling for 30 minutes just 2-3 times a week will help with all other aerobic exercises too and reduce the chances of you having to stop your activity to get your breath back, and again improve your weight loss.
Before you know it a 10 mile bike ride will be a great hour out of the house rather than a chore to lose weight.
An interesting statistic… If one third of all short car journeys were made by bike, national heart disease rates would fall by between 5 and 10 percent (Bikes not Fumes, CTC, 1992). Info from BikeBiz.
So go on, get on a bike, you'll never look back!!! I haven't.









No comments:

Post a Comment